Sunday, October 5, 2014

So Far so Good....

On Friday I began a new round of treatment. Although they refer to it as chemotherapy this treatment in particular has no chemo agents. The majority of the chemical make up is arsenic. The side effects with this protocol are quite different from traditional therapies. Although some side effects are typical for intense the sore tummy and mouth sores...the majority of side effects are heart related. Of course I did have some issues starting out but according to the cardiologist I am managing the treatment so I have the green light to go ahead. Each day I begin with an EKG prior to having my treatment, if all looks good they proceed. So far I have had 3 treatments and so far so good; mind you I have 81 to go. The first 28 treatments will be given while I am hospitalized and the rest I will have to go to the cancer clinic each day.

I am sitting in my bedroom right now at home writing this; as my oncologist surprised me with a day pass. After a got my chemo today he asked me how I was feeling, and since I was tolerating everything so well....they said I could go home for a few hours. Now on such a fantastic fall day I was beside myself to dress and head home. I ran into the house and started to prepare a fall dinner where once again I will am fortunate enough to sit and enjoy with my family. What a blessing! It is amazing what a few hours with the ones you love can do, especially when you get to be in your own environment. It certainly makes my resentment of the hospital be less obvious. I am a fortunate girl that is for sure.

I may not always be able to handle the treatment protocol through out the next 81 days so I will take advantage of the days I can. I know that it makes it easier on everyone else knowing I am ok. My poor mother is a wreck so when I called her today while on my way home I could hear the relief in her voice. Since Friday I have already had a wealth of visitors which has been a complete blessing as it makes my days go by so much faster and makes the day brighter for me. I am in a much better place to handle this even though I am still scared shitless. I am still a bit pissed knowing that leukemia is still present despite all the heavy chemo I have already endured but the doctors have said that there is a 98% cure rate with the arsenic, and a 60% chance it will not return within the 5 year mark. That to me sounds good.

I am not sure how many days I will as great as I do today so I am savouring my pass and enjoying some great cold fall weather and my dinner with the fam jam..... 3 down 81 to go.

~Christine~

No comments:

Post a Comment