Friday, July 1, 2011

7.....



Seven years ago on June 30th 2004 I underwent an incredible surgery. I was 33 years old and my children were 11, 9, 8 years of age. The surgeon removed a 9.5 cm tumour off of my pancreas, along with the majority of my pancreas and well... ALOT more. I was not expected to live but somehow by the grace of God I survived. I was then told shortly  after that ,my cancer had a 90% chance of returning ....it did, and that is where I am right now. I remember the moment I heard this and feeling such a sadness for my children. I wondered if I would ever have the opportunity to share with them any of the incredible milestones in which they would celebrate in their lives; like graduations, weddings, babies... (deep breath)

Each year on June 30th I reflect on my “second chance”..I usually make a trip to London to see my surgeon and thank him for ......saving my life, but this year on June 30th I did something amazing. I watched my oldest daughter walk across a stage and graduate from High School. Yup it was amazing! I could not think of a more fitting, remarkable celebration for my 7 year mark. I know that the girls know that each year at this time I get emotional thinking back to the beginning of this fight with cancer, but they fail to remember the exact date. (I would never expect them to) I never reminded anyone of the actual date knowing it was Ashley’s day and for good reasons I never brought it up.

Amongst the hustle and flow in my home, 4 of us trying to get our hair and makeup done and deciding on the attire for the night, the door bell rang. It was a delivery, flowers actually. Of course considering it was Ashley’s big day I assumed they were for her. Low and behold the delivery was for me, from her! The outside of the envelope Addressed to “Grandma Chrissy”. My heart sank as I saw my name replaced by the message Grandma, I ripped open the card as fast as I could, to find a card reading It’s a girl. “Hahaha just kidding mom.” That is Ashley.... her sense of humour is sick, but friggen awesome. She got me good. Under that was a message of appreciation, her thoughts  on her graduation day....."It is a blessing to have you here today." What words can I possibly use to describe this moment.....

I sat in the crowd and watched my daughter graduate! I truly never believed I would have been here to do so. This day was all about her and for good reason, she has worked hard to get to this point and she deserves it but somehow she made it about me as well. She is a really good kid, wait woman. I know that I am important to her but never realized that she would consider all her blessings in her life on this day. I am one of the them. That realization has kept me tearing throughout the night and into today. Tears of joy, and sadness, but mostly in admiration for a girl who at 18 years of age has the ability to honour herself by honouring others.

So, congratulations to my oldest daughter Ashley, and Happy 7th to me.
~Christine~



1 comment: