Thursday, January 31, 2013

What Do You Take For Granted?




~Be careful what you take for granted; someone else may be praying for it.~ 

Earlier today I was browsing the internet looking for inspirational quotes and came across many but this one in particular stood out. I recall reading and pondering its meaning many years ago; it had a much different impact on me then in comparison to where I am now in life . I sat at my desk gazing out the window at the birds by my feeder and decided that I would re-examine what I may take for granted in my life; and also what I pray for. It was easier to recount the items that I pray for; not wish for, but what I ask God for. Each night I pray for strength and for guidance in all that I do. My children are very important to me as is my spouse. It is this fact that got me thinking about what I take for granted. I am certain there is a long list of items that I could easily categorize as “being taken for granted”, but I do believe it is the love and sometimes silent support that I receive from them that I take for granted.



Because I am ill I can without a doubt say that you, someone who perhaps is not ill takes your health for granted. It is not a thankful blessing in your life. Do you ever wake up and immediately become grateful that are not sick? Probably not... Should you? That is not for me to say; despite the fact that I pray and wish to be healed I can only assume that you take your health for granted. Does a person who lives in poverty assume that a rich man takes for granted his wealth? The poor man would obviously believe so, even though it may not be true. In either circumstance it is unfair to assume that others are not grateful for what they have, but when you are at a disadvantage it only seems that way.



I think the quote requires a much deeper thought. It is my interpretation which may differ from yours; but I think it makes reference to the free things in life, the spiritual and meaningful things that come from life, nature and relationships with others.  Our children are guilty much the same as we were in our youth of taking life in general for granted. I can remember when I was a teenager and being completely unaware of what life truly offered me.  I just couldn’t wait to be an adult so that I would have my own say in my life and not be under the scrutiny of my parents and their outlandish rules. I had no idea that life would fly by in a second! That was over 25 years ago and yet I simply blinked and here I am. 



Taking life for granted as a teenager is expected, but as an adult it is a grave mistake. Today is here but only for today. Each day even the bad ones should be celebrated and given thanks for. Celebrate? You don’t have to throw a party every day but maybe just a smile is enough. Celebrating or giving thanks for the little tiny things that can either push us over the edge or make the difference in our day. For example; no line in the drive thru at Timmie’s.... or all green lights, what about a stranger smiling at you? I know ,I know  it sounds sappy but how often do we all bitch, complain and whine about the smallest of things? Maybe, just maybe it’s time to at least consider the power that small amounts of joy in our lives can have on our emotional health. So you go to the grocery store and someone hands you a cart, big deal! .....maybe not, maybe it had nothing to do with you perhaps it did something for them.



I am not suggesting that you need to examine your life and feel guilty for what you have because someone else may not. I am simply agreeing with the quote and saying it may be just a reminder that life should be reflected upon; on occasion, so that you are not just rushing through it without at least  contemplating what your “for granted(s)” are. 
~Christine~


No comments:

Post a Comment