Monday, February 4, 2013

My Furry Daughter Sara...



Twelve and a half years ago my husband I decided to get a dog for our daughters. We had agreed to get a Lab. However, after visiting a breeder “just for fun” I ended up coming home with 2 tiny black fur balls; Sara and James. I had not expected to buy a Shihtzu, let alone 2 of them! James was the runt of the litter and would only eat or drink if Sara stood beside him. The breeder was concerned that he would die if she separated them, so like a sucker I bought both. The girls were absolutely thrilled with having 2 puppies, and believe me they were adorable. It was not long after that we realized how dependent James was on Sara. They did everything in unison. James always ate first while Sara quietly and patiently waited for her turn at the bowl. They shared dog treats and were always, always together. They walked side by side, and slept in the exact same position day after day for many years.
                                                               James and Sara

Two years ago we had to put Sir James down. He was such a sick dog. Forever having to care for his wealth of health issues and Sara was his full time nurse. Every day of his life she cared for him. Constantly licking his sore ears and making sure that we knew when James needed something. It was a devastating day when he was put down. I was very worried about Sara and how she would respond to his absence. The Vet even warned us about the possible depression she would go through. The first night he was gone we all fought over Sara especially about who would get to sleep with her. We even set a place at the table for her that night! It took us a while to get used to just calling her name as we were so used to calling James and Sara as if it were one name. For a few days she walked around the house looking for him. It broke our hearts. But somehow a new spirit awoke in her. At eleven years of age she began acting like a puppy again.  Often running around the house with such excitement, she even started playing with a tennis ball.


I joked with the girls that she was just bogged down by the weight of a man, and was finally set free from their relationship.... not nice but kind of funny.  Sara is my best friend, actually more like one of my children. She is a huge part of our family. Each of us spoils her and she responds with such loyalty. She waits by the door like clockwork each day awaiting the arrival of each child. When my husband gets home she goes crazy wild. Each of us does different things for her which just enriches Sara’s life. When our oldest daughter works midnights Sara waits at the bottom of the stairs for her to bring her up to bed. Sara will lay in bed all day with her.


She is very aware of each of us and our needs; and always responds accordingly. When I am not feeling well she behaves very gently with me. Her loyalty is commendable. When I first arrived home after having bypass surgery she never left my side. She was obsessed with lying on my right leg. I had well over a 100 staples and I know she wanted to heal me by keeping my leg warm. There have been times that my sugars have crashed (I am diabetic) and she goes crazy licking me and spinning around in front of me. I have no idea how she knows what is happening to me, but she never leaves my side. If I am in the shower she lays at the tub waiting for me.  She only does this to me. It is amazing how much I love this little dog. I usually greet her in the morning with a “good morning miss Sara”, and man does she ever go crazy. She loves what I say and how I say it.  Each of us have different nicknames for her, Sassy, or Miss Sasperella,  Sary, no matter what you call her she responds with such incredible enthusiasm.


In early December Sara suffered a stroke. She was unable to eat or drink for 4 days. She also was unable to walk. She drooled a lot and always patiently allowed us to wipe her mouth. You could see the gratefulness in her eyes as we cared for her. It was suggested to us that we put her down, but I just couldn’t do it. It was also during the period of time that both of my oldest daughters were completing their exams. I knew it would be stressful for them to deal with her death. So I waited. Eventually we were able to get her to drink and were able to hand feed her tiny pieces of food. Her back legs continually gave out on her as she tried to walk. We all took turns carrying her about. Christmas came and we planned that over the holidays we would as a family go the Vet’s office and put her down; at least that was the plan...Somehow she grew stronger each day and eventually was able to hold her own. She inspires me! Despite her pain and inability to do what she once could, I see the fight in her to get better.


She has not completely recovered and still has a difficult time with stairs and at times requires one of us to carry her. Her spirit is incredible. She is such a happy person; yes she is a person. Sara is a wise old lady trapped in a dog body. Lol. I know that Sara is a dog but I love her like a child. She is kind, gentle, loyal and has unconditional love for every person in this house. The qualities that I wish more humans had. Little Miss Sara we all love you so much.
~Christine~

                                             Little Miss Sara on Christmas Eve 2012




No comments:

Post a Comment