Friday, September 26, 2014

A Long Road to Recovery




On June 11th of this year I was feeling a bit under the weather so I decided to take a nap. I ended up sleeping through the day and into the night. The next day I could barely lift my head out of pure exhaustion. I thought for sure I was coming down with the flu and thought nothing of it. Things took a turn for the worse that evening as I began to vomit blood. I also had no idea where I was. My husband tried to get me to stand up so he could rush me to the hospital but sadly I could not stand. All I can clearly recall on my own was that Pat was carrying me to the car and then waking up in the emergency department. When I looked up I saw my parents standing beside my bed. I had no idea why they were there, but according to my mom I had called them. It turns out that I called a lot of people during the wee hours of the night and it was a blessing to have them there; the ER doctor delivered the news Acute Leukemia. I heard him but I didn’t register the diagnosis. I just knew it was bad as the doctor said the words I watched my father’s face squint like someone had bold face punched him, I could and still can feel the delivery of it. The next thing I knew I was having a bone marrow biopsy and discussing with the ER docs how they would get me to London. At one point I was going to be air lifted but ended up going by ambulance.  (Did I mention this was Friday the 13th, only me! )lol

The team of oncologists were anticipating my arrival as I entered my isolation room they were already on hand with what would end up being my first round of chemo.  One of the nurses told me that “tonight you are fighting for your life”…. And I was.  By this time I was bleeding out… my arms were so bruised that the blood was seeping out of my skin, my fingertips looked like someone dipped them in blue paint. Even though I knew I was in London surrounded by family and friends (who btw drove to London) I really didn’t know where I was or what was happening to me. At one point I recall counting the IV bags that were hanging on 2 IV pumps, 18 in total. I was given several transfusions throughout the night, blood, plasma and platelets, along with several medications and of course the non- stop chemo.

The doctors told us that with acute leukemia the cells multiply within 4-6 hours of initial onset, whereas for example a breast cancer can take 3-4 months for the same result. It is key to have chemo within 24 hours of diagnosis for best chance of survival. That is why I went to London, as they were prepared to handle the administration of the chemo within that time frame. 23 hours from onset I had my chemo; talk about cutting it close. I am so very thankful that my ambulance driver had a lead foot! Haha. The nurse that they sent with me for my trip was amazing; she kept me comforted the entire trip. The only thing I can’t figure out is how my husband got to London and was waiting for me at least 20 minutes before the ambulance and I arrived; apparently he drove fast down the 401……We will call him Nascar Pat from now on.

Once I became a bit more stable they decided to transfer me back to Windsor to finish my treatments. Day 12 I was sent by ambulance to Met Hospital to the Cancer Floor. The isolation rooms are amazing! The nursing staff is second to none. I remained there for 26 days before I was released to go home for a break before the next round of chemo. During this time I was visited by many and had several individuals call, text and email me. I feel bad knowing that I did not respond to many of the out reaches but to be completely honest with you; I was exhausted and stressed about my condition. I had just 12 weeks before this episode underwent liver surgery to remove the right side as there was a neuroendocrine tumour. That surgery btw left me cancer free……for the first time in 10 years. Now that I got leukemia I felt deflated and well, many other emotions ran through me. I never had a pity party or questioned why this was happening to me …..but when you are throwing up, feeling dizzy, having extreme diarrhea it is hard to have the energy for visitors. I also lost my hair very quickly, so here I am 96lbs bald and oozing from every hole……who would have wanted to witness that anyways?

One person in particular did; Patrick. He never left my side. Even when he had to go back to work, I could count on the fact that he would breeze into my room tea in hand for me followed by a kiss and a “you look beautiful today”…..each and every day. He heals me with his presence. It is amazing to be able to reach that time in your relationship when you are tested in the areas that matter so much…in sickness and in health, for us apparently it is both.  I will continue with more of the journey tomorrow, I want to end on that note since I seem to be happy and smiling just thinking about Pat and I at the hospital and how the 2 of us managed to find humour in all that was happening to me.

Btw- the expression life is too short, well if I was healthy and had the energy to do something I would in a heartbeat. There are so many things we take for granted each and every day. It is a privilege to be healthy and able bodied. Please do something that makes you happy or gives you peace, it is fall and the weekend looks like it will be beautiful so ……..oh and if you happen to see a goose or hear one wave at it for me. Love all of you and thank you for reading my blogs.

~Christine~

No comments:

Post a Comment