Saturday, May 31, 2014

What a Crazy Week....



This past week my schedule was a bit crazy. I have a lot on the go, like 20 million things, I swear to God I have been non stop since last Sunday. I will share a few good things with you......On Wednesday I met with an incredible woman who I pitched my Medical Journal to in hopes of having her assist me with the launch; it turns out I felt like a little wee fish in a great big ocean! I was so nervous that I probably rambled on like a fool. I felt sick and dizzy and truthfully I had the feeling throughout the meeting that she must have thought I was a lunatic. By the end of the conversation I realized that my idea “my baby” is much bigger than I dreamed. It was like being on Dragon’s Den……..when I left our meeting (also securing a 2 hour meeting for next week) I got into my car and cried. Then I threw up. Yup I pitched my lunch. It was that good of a meeting. For the first time in my 43 year life I feel totally alive and on the verge of something awesomely …. HUGE. It was amazing to hear “this is a great idea” from someone who is very successful. You know what? I learned something about stress this week. Even good stress is hard to handle at times. Even tonight at 1:00 am while I writing this I am still stoked. I can’t sleep with thoughts racing through my mind at lightening speeds. 



I run an organization called I am HOPE, and many people have asked me what it is all about and what is it that we do. First let me tell you where it came from; I was Hope for mom. My friends and family ran a benefit and golf tournament for me to raise money so that I could go to another country to deal with my cancer. I have undergone quite a bit since then and currently I am cancer free; so Hope for Mom is now I am HOPE. Because I am; hope that is. I serve, like many other survivors HOPE for others that find they are walking in our foot prints. I believe that survivors are the light at the end of a dark tunnel for others who face trauma of any kind, or illness of any sort. Our group is made up a variety of individuals that have been through tough times.


Our goal is to bring HOPE where is does not exist. We are an anonymous group that drops cards and gifts to people who need an uplifting. We also raise funds for families who are dealing with illness and need to raise funds. This week in particular we were recruited to run 2 pasta dinners for 2 different families. So I have been running around like a squirrel that lost their nuts. On Tuesday I didn’t even know what day it was ….it was that crazy. Hall booking, raffle tickets, dinner tickets, letters for sponsorships…..but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I know firsthand the joy and gratefulness that comes with others helping you. That is why my mission is to give back as much as I can for as long as I can. My Medical Journal will fuel this organization along with other recipients. Although I love to do this , it also makes me crazy knowing that others are ill and need money. It makes no sense to me that individuals must face more than one issue at a time. I mean you are sick….shouldn’t you only have to face or deal with that? The stress of not working or having enough money is outrageous…..I really have to balance my emotions so that I don’t become cynical.


Friday was a wonderful day; our dear friend Greg had his open house for his new Bakery & Pizzeria. I was quite surprised that he asked me to speak at the Grand Opening. I was honoured to do it, but still felt that what I had to say …..well anyways I did give a speech and to my surprise I did not pass out or vomit on the patrons. I hate hate hate public speaking. Yes I have done it many times before but each and every time I do it, I feel like I will swell and explode all over everyone. I am fine in small groups but NOT a crowd. I am here today to tell you I survived…..phew. 

Vince Jr. & Greg :)


Greg and my husband worked together back in the high school days at a grocery store…..many many years ago! They pushed carts together.  Greg was married to Patricia, they started dating around the same time as Pat and I, and they were married On May 30th which is also his Birthday. Patricia passed away from cancer a few years back. Yesterday his Grand Opening was also May 30th. It meant the world to him to share his opening on this date. I am thankful that he chose such a wonderful day to celebrate. Although it was hard to know that Patty was not there to see his dream become a reality…..it seemed to me that since she passed he has had to evolve and make a new life without her. Not to say that she is no longer a consideration…..but just to say that Greg needs to find Greg and make a new life with a new perspective. He was a BIG shot at well-known big box store and is now running a new venture. His partner is also a friend of over 30 years, more like family than friends.


As I stood and watched over 1200 people come through the doors I was sure that Patty had something to do with that. He held it together pretty well as I thought for sure he would be a HOT mess, considering it was his wedding anniversary….and I will say this, he loved her like no other love. There are very few couples that I know that truly and utterly love each other like they loved one another. That is also one of the reasons I love and respect this man so much.


After a long day I was looking forward to putting my pj’s on grabbing a cold diet coke and some white cheddar popcorn and vegging on the couch…..I was not in the door long enough to put my purse down when my daughter called and asked for a ride. She had been working a charity golf tournament and the hole she was at happened to be a beer sponsored event. Needless to say all day in the heat, no food and serving men beer…..No problem, I told her dad and I would come get her and her car. Turns out the golf course was ½ hour from our house and I was exhausted and starving………… 8 o’clock at night before we finally stopped and had a burger, fries and gravy! When I got my food I wanted to put my hands into my suit jacket and use my face to suck it back…I think I devoured it in 5 minutes. But then of course the instant I finished eating I wanted to pass out on the bench of our booth. Straight home, straight to bed.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


Saturday morning arrives with an alarm clock going off at 5:30…whoops my bad I forgot to shut it off the night before.  Floors washed, laundry done, 3 grocery stores (catch all the deals) unload them, back to Greg’s restaurant to grab a coconut cream pie, back to shoppers drug mart, grass cut, garden weeded….I then went into my bedroom to make the bed with all the fresh sheets and blankets, next thing you know I am passed out cold. The good thing about that, I was woken up to be told dinner was ready! BBQ’d chicken, rice grilled asparagus. I am still trying to figure out what the motive behind that was, as I am certain I will hear about something someone did. No good deeds in this house spear headed by the girls is ever “just because”…so I will wait to hear.



So it’s now 2:15 am and I sure I talked your ear of off…sorry had lots to share. I hope you all have been enjoying the nice weather and NOT complaining about the heat considering we were all just complaining about the snow! Tomorrow is another jammed packed day with what feels like 40 million things to do. Good night.

~Christine~

No comments:

Post a Comment