Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My Best Girl Friend...



I have always viewed friends as an extension of oneself; Patsy is such a good friend to me that she is actually a part of me. I have had the privilege of knowing and being a part of her life since early elementary school. That is to say this poor girl has known me / put up with me her entire life. Pasty is a rare bird, she beats to the sound of her own unique drum. I quite like the music she plays. Never one to really care about the “in crowd” or what others thought of her, she just forged through life with an incredible mission to attain her goals. Growing up with Patsy was a lot of fun, her energy wow, A LOT of energy! (ha ha). Although we got into mischief she always carried the responsibility of making sure we were alright. She drove every where, always made sure we were never too intoxicated and made sure we had a shirt on our back (oh even if she had to literally give you hers).



She was there for me for my 1st heart break right through until my 14th. Patsy could tell a guy off in such a way that he would walk away with a new torn ass hole and thank her out of fear of further damage. She once threw rocks at a brand spanking new Trans Am, because she knew the guy who was picking me up in it was an ass… (oh the look on his face, hahaha).  When he yelled at her, she proudly stood in my driveway and yelled “Fuck You,” to him. There were countless times in my life that I can tell you where she was with me , right be behind, beside me and even in front of me softening the blows…. Patsy has just always had the ability to see what was best for me, even when I didn’t.



In elementary school and in high school there were times when I know she struggled with people, or situations and I never really knew how she had the strength to deal with or stand up to people. Or the strength to ride her bike so fast around Tecumseh to avoid being beat up by KB the summer going into grade 9. hahaha. Life may have been tough for her but she radiated with a beautiful smile through the worst of it. Being the oldest child in her family she had a lot to deal with, 2 younger brothers I might add. But she never took shit from either one, in fact I first hand witnessed many of times those boys crying after she pulverized them. An occasional throw down the stairs is what every little pain in the ass brother needs!


As life moved forward and we grew up, I married and moved away. Unfortunately I failed as a friend. I lost contact with her. Yes she was there when I married, and when the kids were born, but I wasn’t there for her. I wish I could turn back time and see her as often as I do now. So, Patsy today; is an incredible mom, a single mom in fact and truth be told she ROCKS! I admire her strength and her ability to keep her own. I am proud of her. She has grown into a role that not many could handle. She is mom and dad, friend and guardian to 2 of the most amazing little creatures I have ever met. Her children are loved and cared for with a force of ten men! Being selfless comes natural to her. I see it when I watch her with her children. I am so proud of her.


My oldest daughter Ashley is a French student, needing community hours for graduation she offered to tutor one of Patsy’s’ girls everyday after school. So each day after school Patsy and her chicklettes arrive at my house and we visit, while Ashley and Sloan are doing homework. It seems to me that Patsy has never left my side, like she has always been right here beside me. Truth is she has never left my heart. What a blessing for me to be able to share my after school with all of them. We even have dinner together as often as possible during the week. (Unless of course I use seasoning ..then Sloan won’t eat! Haha)


My children are happy that Patsy and her girls are in our lives. They are amazed at how well Patsy knows me ….the real me. She loves me and cares about my well being not only physically but mentally and spiritually. It is not uncommon for me to hear her say “I know Chris”, and she is right she does know. I can’t bullshit her about anything she just knows, so I am honest with her about how I feel about a lot of things. She gives me the freedom to say what I need to say and how I need to say it. That makes her a tremendous friend.


Of course when we go out I have to frustrate her and be a huge pain in the ass. I taunt her with lesbianism in front of others just to see her freak out. I tease her about things we did as kids and she loves it. I know she does, and quite frankly I really don’t think she would want it any other way. I just wanted to share with you yet another blessing in my life… My oldest and dearest friend …..Patsy.


I love you Patsy, you inspire me to be a better person and to be true to me. I wish I could see life through your eyes. xo

Grade One
 Patsy (left) Me (Right)



No comments:

Post a Comment