Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My Legna…



I have decided to tell you about one of my children ~Melissa~ . Melissa will be Sweet 16 in 49 days; according to her daily countdown. She is my middle daughter, exactly 18 months younger than Ashley and exactly 18 months older than Samantha; smack dab in the middle. Melissa was born the night of my inaugural meeting with The Kent County Board of Education. I ran a successful campaign and was elected to The Position of School Board Trustee in the 1994 Municipal Elections. After being sworn in, my water broke. Melissa Marie November 26th.


Melissa was always an incredibly happy child. For as long as I have known her she has had a hunger for happiness and living life. This kid really lights up a room. Her infectious smile and in her ability to make you feel like you are the only other person in a room with her is why I call her my legna. (Angel backwards). When she was 4 days old I almost lost her. She developed a respiratory virus that almost took her life. I will never forget the feeling of almost loosing her, and because of that I will admit she has a very special place in my heart.


This young lady is the essence of sweetness; don’t get me wrong if one of her sisters takes something of hers…Truck Driving Hillbilly Fouled Mouth! Anyways, I have watched her over the years develop into an incredible being; in fact I am tempted to want to be her friend and not just her mother. Her genuine excitement for people and life is second to none. She literally becomes a lit Christmas tree when someone waves at her or says hello. She has the ability to soak up all the goodness that life has to offer. She is always making us laugh, with her antics and silly voices, laughs , dances and even at times just at herself.


She has this way of doing things against her allowed venture and will tell me (confess to me) in such a way that I feel proud of her. Example, this year she attended the Tecumseh Corn Festival, (age 15) … and called me from her cell to tell me how proud she was that she was able to get into the beer tent. Ya, she was INSIDE the beer tent when she called. Of course I ask how, and she simply says “I walked in the exit”. She did not drink as she was just thrilled that she got in, that was enough for her. In stead of being flipping mad that my daughter had even contemplated going into a beer tent, I smiled and pictured her silly self waking in through the exit. I know I should be angry, but I trust her. I also wish at times I had teh ability to live and feel as she does.


Melissa loves food and has an incredible appreciation for sharing meals with family. In grade 2 she was asked to draw a picture of what makes her happiest during the holidays, most children drew a Christmas tree with presents. Melissa drew tiny blue circles all over  a plain white paper. Her teacher told her to redo her work. When I questioned Melissa about her picture she proudly told me that her picture was of the water on a window at my mothers’ house. Puzzled I asked her to explain in more detail. She told me that when our whole family is together at my mothers after we have a big meal the window in her kitchen is always wet. That makes her happy; all of us together. Each of the blue circles on her page was each one of us as the water beads on the window. Her value of family meals inspires me to share all of our meals together. Truthfully I never noticed the sweat on my moms' window, however when I notice it now, I tear.


Most recently Melissa was invited to a girls 16th Birthday Party, which was held downtown Windsor. The girls’ parents had rented a club until 11pm for the kids to celebrate. Upon leaving the club, apparently my daughter ended up crashing a “Bolly Wood” Wedding Reception. Don’t ask me how, but she did. Full out Pakistani wedding! There is my daughter and her friends on the damn dance floor. Was that not bad enough? I creep on her face book photos and there she is on the dance floor at this wedding with the groomsmen!!! I tried to yell at her for it but …she told me how exciting it was to experience that type of wedding and I melted….


I am proud of Melissa, as I know her mission in life is to smile and make others smile. She truly looks at life as a blessing and views the cup as half already enjoyed….I am proud of her and her zest for life. She is my Legna.



Melissa I am so proud to be your Mom.xoxo

Melissa & Baby Pakistani Dancer 2010!

Melissa Just Being Melissa!

No comments:

Post a Comment