Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Beauty of Music



Yesterday was a bit of an off day in that everyone was home....(lol) Easter weekend meant cooking, cleaning, boiling, baking, decorating, eating and visiting oh and me doing all the work. It is better that way anyhow, considering I am the only one that can do it right anyway. hahaha (but it is true)

So yesterday morning I did my thing despite the fact they were all home. I started off by unloading and reloading the dish washer, prepared breakfast for when the heathens woke up. Then I decided to blast my music. Not the usual teenage music I find myself bopping along to. I plugged my speakers in my computer and hit my playlist. The usual Elvis favourites followed by some Led Zeppelin, Van Morrison but then Seger and soft love songs. Which is my usual jump from genre to genre, but  some of the songs I usually scream along to caused me to think of things in a much deeper way.

I started wondering about when I had first heard the song and what made me like it. Of course this allowed me to dig deep in the memory bank and caused quite a stir of emotions. It reminded me of when I was a young girl hanging out with my older sister. She was obsessed with organizing her music, she would write out the song titles off her albums and catalog the length of the song and keep the lists in a neat binder. She would also make me guess the artist of a song or the title. It was fun. Well maybe for me... It also reminded me of the days when my older brother who was a rock star by his own right.. with his electric guitar and amplifier blasting through the house. It was not uncommon for me to sit in his room for what seemed like days starting and restarting his albums. The same song over and over and over again, he would stand there singing into his microphone like he was a friggen big deal. Scary thing is ...I thought he was. I listened to some of the songs that he tried to perfect and smiled (condescendingly) thinking of the personal concerts I enjoyed. When I got to Nazareth... "Love Hurts" it made me hysterically laugh thinking of my poor sister who had her heart broken...she laid on the bed crying and playing "Love Hurts" until almost wearing out the record. This then made me remember a fight between my 2 older sisters that entailed the two of them destroying each others' personal stuff. The worst of it, the scratching of the albums.... oh and yes I got to be the deliverer of bad news to each of them.. I think they refer to that as tattle tailing. Hahaha

As I found myself walking down memory lane I couldn’t help add songs to my play list courtesy of you tube. First thinking of my first high school dance and the first song I got a chance to dance to with a boy, I might add. “I Can’t Fight This Feeling any Longer”. Ha ha then the later thoughts of Patsy busting a move to Janet Jackson, honestly I think after the years of practice Patsy could out do Janet’s own moves. Of course I just couldn’t stop laughing at the hoopla that went into us getting ready for a dance.. The neon colours, the shaker stitch sweaters with matching coloured boat shoes! The 80’s were the greatest time ever. As teenagers we were the coolest generation of people. Well that is because it was my time, our time.

The songs just kept flying off the internet while reminiscing my “old days’... and thoughts of music lead to thoughts of parties and fond memories of my friends and boyfriends. Sitting on the bed with the girlies trying to help each other find the perfect song for the couple of the day so that when we got to the dance we could request it  or wait what about the midnight dedications on the radio! Hahahaha “Pillow Talk”.

Anyways, as the music was getting louder of course I was getting even more rowdy laughing and singing along to the music, I woke the girls up. They came down stairs with looks to kill. MOM! Hahaha. After they threatened me to cool it on the retro front we had a nice conversation about music and how it reflects who we are. Melissa revealed to me that she knows what kind of mood I am just by hearing my music. I laughed but she was naming songs that I listen to and told me what my mood was to coincide with each different one. On a side note I felt touched that she pays enough attention to me to know that. It is true; my music does reflect my mood.

I can’t begin to imagine my daily life without my music. I guess that is the beauty of music and why everyone has a radio, ipod, mp3 etc... What I am saying is nothing new. Music is a gift. I just allowed myself to be moved by the tunes being pumped out of my computer. I was able to go back and reflect on so many wonderful memories just because of some guy or gal singing a tune, How great is that?
~Christine~

2 comments:

  1. "Well.......it's forty below
    And I don't give a f.ck
    Got a heater in my truck
    And I'm off to the rodeo!

    You taint kiddin' bout music bringing them thar mammaries back! Ding dang Doo!

    ReplyDelete