Thursday, April 7, 2011

Friends and Kindness

The last few weeks have come and gone as quick as a blink of an eye. I have had doctor’s appointments almost every other day; I have moved and am preparing to leave for Switzerland.  Let me back track for a few minutes to explain in detail what has transpired over the past few weeks. First, the benefit that my friends organized for me. At first I felt very uncomfortable with the whole concept of this dinner.

When I arrived at the venue I was floored at the number of people that attended. I was elated that many people I knew from back in the day came out to show their support for me. I was pleased to see so many dear friends. I have to admit there were many tables I never got a chance to sit at and personally thank the individuals for attending. I feel horrible for that. I am truly appreciative to have seen so many people gather for ME! The night was a great success in that we all enjoyed ourselves immensely. Our dear friend Ron was the DJ for the night, he definitely got us up and dancing, which allowed us “high school” girls to bring our shit to the dance floor and shake our asses like we did back in high school.  Even my daughters were up dancing with us old folks; in fact they were blown away with the moves we could still bust!  Favourite part of the night for me was seeing my bestie  Patsy let loose and give the dance floor a run for its money. She made me cry to see her so happy.

Another woman I had the pleasure knowing growing up traveled in from Toronto to share the night with me, and since she is now an award winning trophy carrying star, it was even more special to have her grace me with her presence. I still can’t believe she did that for me.  Thank you Carolyn. As I walked through the hall, I saw girls that I grew up with, and my heart burst to think they cared enough about me to come and wish me well after all these years. Lisa, Tammy, Kelly, Debbie you have no idea what you did for me that night showing up. It brought me back to a place when all was possible, childhood. I looked at these women knowing full well that are now mothers, grownups....but I saw them as the little girls that I used to admire.

In 2 ½ weeks my friends pulled this event off without a hitch; they reached out and people responded so generously. I am very thankful for the event and the individuals that came out, but also the people that in boxed me with their well wishes and thoughts of me and my children. The support for me was about raising money yes, but I need support in other ways as well. Let me explain, a phone call, an email, even a hug. One of my favourite emails I got, I can’t afford to give you anything right now but I sure would like to give you a hug. What is a hug worth? That day? Priceless! Another friend emailed and said I want to take your girls out to the show, you have no idea what that did for me emotionally..it was incredible to watch someone come to my house and take my girls out and spoil them with a movie and junk food. My heart burst with joy for them, for me. Not to mention the kindness of an old elementary school friend, Kathy sent my girls and I certificates to enjoy a nail spa together...All I could do is cry when I received that. That was exactly what we needed, a fantastic distraction from you know who and you know what! It  was amazing Thank you Kathy. While I was moving, the friends that just appeared out of nowhere, wow! I walked into my kitchen and there was dinner, already prepared. Upstairs the windows were being cleaned and new blinds were being installed, all within hours of me getting my home.

I am truly blessed. The truth is they are all here in my life and doing what they are doing for me because they love me, and not because I have cancer. This is why I came home, this is why I uprooted my girls and came back home for my friends and family. My friends are family, so yes I moved back home for family!

The support financially is still happening, office fundraisers and small donations keep pouring in. I am so grateful. This week I am to book 2 much needed scans; both scans are just over 6000.00 a piece. My treatment costs, lodging, flights ...well let’s just say we will be close to the 200k mark. We are in the process of organizing our fundraisers as well as our golf tournament.  They are working their tails off for me, as I would for them...in a heartbeat I might add. Feeling loved and supported is incredible.

Today I woke up and grabbed the photos from our party off of my night stand and stared at them for over an hour. I looked into the eyes of my best supporters and it made me smile. No it made me tear up, I am overwhelmed with how blessed I am right now. I am sick and I feel like absolute crap 90% of the time...but when I think of my girls and my “girls” I feel rejuvenated and re-energized. I have amazing people in my life. I thank you all so much.It is difficult for me to put into words the gratitude I feel. Today is a very bad day for me, but not as bad as it could be without all of them. I know they are all carrying a bit of my load. Here are a few photos from the night I mentioned.  Photos of me and my besties!  
~Christine~







No comments:

Post a Comment