Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Road to Recovery

Just wondering like most days since I have been out of the hospital if I in fact took the wrong road map.... this road that I am currently on seems to be taking far too many detours. I mean I can handle the things that have been happening to me but I am starting to lose my "positive perspective". It is not a pity party or anything of that nature but today in particular I am wondering where the hell I am at. I am a couple days shy of 3 weeks post surgery and have yet to regain my energy level. I am feeling exhausted which for an active person like me...it is defeating. The smallest of tasks knock the crap out of me. I know, I know don't do anything...but then what do I do with my time? I am having a hard time writing, reading makes me motion sick and TV well...that is of no interest. I am going stir crazy.

On Friday I went to have my staples out; all 43 of them. The family doctor had me come to the clinic and take them out. They came out quite nicely however my stomach had not closed properly so I have  3cm spot that won't close. He steri- stripped them and recommended that I do NOTHING and keep them dry, so no showering until he would see me again Tuesday. In the mean time the  weekend was crazy, I started to feel my right foot going cold once again, which I know when that happens I am hospital bound. Eventually I asked Pat to take me to the Emergency Department. At first he was reluctant but clearly had no problem bringing me as he knows I avoid hospitals at all costs. Once we arrived it was not long before  I was connected to IV's and was the talk of the ER. After 5 hours of being there they decided they were going to air lift me to either London or Beau Mount as there was no pulse at all in my foot. Fortunately for me the Heparin drip they started me on started to take affect and they were able to get a small faint pulse...so I got to stay right where I was. The decision was to have me go to another local hospital and have an ultrasound and angio-gram; which I did. The angio-gram was performed and I left the hospital later that day with angioplasty once again.

Back to see the family doctor about the stomach on Tuesday, which when he removed the steri-strips the stomach was still open and draining. The call to the surgeon was made and now back to London so that he could have a peek. Did I mention I am already exhausted? After he saw me he decided to just leave me well enough alone but suggested I check back in each Thursday for the next three, until my stomach closes on it's own.

I guess it is safe to say that whenever someone is on the road to recovery in any aspect of life it is difficult. Despite the efforts of everyone to cheer you or change your thoughts it is up to the individual to accept that recovery is a bitch. We can even fall off the wagon to getting better, and that is maybe where I am. I am frustrated as I wish today was next week and I am sure next week I will wish it to be next month. Either way we are never satisfied... I am a woman so this must hold true.

I am not good just laying around, never have been. I can't do a damn thing....and not even doing a damn thing is good enough. I want to dance, hang pictures, paint , drive, get groceries........stay put woman....I know I know, but HOW???? I wish I knew how to be a lazy person, and I wish  knew how to take naps not these 23 minute passouts to pass time.

Last night I went up to see my Aunt at the hospital and was quite excited about going....I even put make up on. I was exhausted just doing that but it still wasn't enough of a venture out yet. Maybe today since the sun is shining I will force my husband to take me for yet another car ride to see my geese by the water or something. One day at a time is all I keep telling myself. Even though I know I am lying to myself. So do I sound certified crazy yet? Cause I think I am....Yes I am even answering myself at times in the absence of the family being home. My little dog Sara just sighs at me when I ask her questions...it's true she does.

I know I have to work on my patience....it is not about gratitude! I have plenty of that for being saved yet again...it is just the patience piece that I am struggling with....and a bit of boredom. I am that woman in the nyquil commercial that can't sleep and is asking "what if the hokey pokey is what it is all about about"...yup that is me. Feet at the head of the bed then sideways and the opposite all in a 5 minute span. Poor Pat.

Ok I am going out .... have bugged him enough he just yelled "fine let's go"....he isn't smiling though.....Not yet anyways. Yeah I am getting out of the house, just hope I don't fall asleep during our car ride like last time! hahaha

Have a great productive day friends

Love ~Christine~

1 comment:

  1. Christine, just wanted to say "hang in there"! I also had a section of my incision open up after my liver resection. They had me pack it with moistened gauze. It took about 6 weeks to completely close up. It was never infected. I think my dog stepped on me one day and I'd already lost the staple in this spot. Sucked but it did heal!

    ReplyDelete