Monday, September 6, 2010

I am a Girl!......



Recently I attended a function where many of the guests were people that I have not seen in years, in fact decades. I knew by chance that a few of the male guests that would be present for this event were old flames of mine. Well one in particular was an official “old flame” and two others were boys that I fancied A LOT.  

I spent a great deal of time getting ready for this event, hair dye, new outfit, fantastic bra, the whole nine yards, you know the eat your heart out kind of get ready. I arrived at the party said hello to the hosts. I noticed standing in the corner was old flame #1, my heart stopped; it then dropped into my stomach and eventually into my underwear. I took a deep breathe walked to the bar, ordered a drink and glanced his way… I made eye contact then very quickly pretended to not notice him.

As I walked away I heard “That’s Chris Berry”, and my flipping ego grew, my face turned into a perma smile, I wanted to jump up and down and scream “fucker!!!”
I am not trying to sound arrogant in any way; it’s just that that kind of stuff never happens to me. ( for the record…I never gave him the pleasure of conversing with me that night, yes he tried.) Yay me…lol

It made me think of when I was a young teenager around 13. My father and I faithfully went to the city market every Saturday morning, and then went to Franks Barber Shop for a shave (my dad) and a hair trim. On this one Saturday in particular; Frank turned to my father and said “your son is turning into a fine looking young man”.  I stood up and yelled “I am a Girl!” This only reiterates to me what I looked like growing up. Flat chested, short haired, no ass tomboy..... wanna be girl.

Throughout elementary school and high school I always kept my hair really short. It was not until I hit the age of 35 that I allowed my hair to grow long. Finally feeling like a girl! I transformed into the exact me I wanted to be. I am all about the bling, the hair the makeup, suits, rhinestone shoes and I have taken a fancy to all things pink and frilly. I absolutely love being a lady, no, a princess. If I could wear my star studded tiara in public I would.

I have my bedroom/ girl sanctuary so frilled, that some may mistake my room for that of one of my daughters. I have all my favourite things displayed on my dressers, easy access to my hands and eyes. I often hold my treasures and smile into the mirror while admiring my girl shit.

This infatuation may have been from my lack of personal space growing up. I did share a bedroom with my sisters and being the youngest meant I had the least amount space. It could also be from sharing a bedroom with a man for the last 19 years, an environment not conducive to pink flowers and shiny materials. But now my bedroom has become a reflection of who I have become, I am a Girl!

This photo is one of my dressers that house my fav things… like my rhinestone brooches, my water colours of naked women, tiara, mirror, photo of my mother and I, the dvd Notebook, my Julia Roberts brown hat (pretty woman) flowers, love letters (some I have written to myself) whiskey flask, cricket, and a small box containing some secrets….. 

No comments:

Post a Comment