Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Day 14- Farming & Harvest



We harvest the crop only one day to become the planters of seeds; of which we will one day see our own crop harvested by our children. We are the farmers of life; many generations before us and for many generations after us. Our fields are strategically placed in an area that is familiar so that we can harvest, plant and harvest yet again amongst the seeds of our family line.


Not every field we harvest is filled with an abundance of fruit in fact sometimes our fields are filled with unwanted weeds. It is our job as the framers to know the difference between them. It is difficult at times to recognize the weeds as they are sometimes as beautiful of a plant as is the ones we will nourish our bodies with. That is why it is so important to harvest your own field with someone who has harvested before. Their lessons and tips are the experiences of their life. They will teach you the difference between them, so that one day you will be the farmer who teaches your own.


With each year that passes we learn so much from the previous plantation. We increase our knowledge of how to better care for our plants. We learn to protect them from the sun, the rain and from insects…. We also enjoy the vegetation once it is fully grown and harvested. 


Much like a garden we are the seeds, as our parents have planted us, and we in turn replant the same fields with our own seeds. The hope is that by the time we are ready to be farmers we know how to seed, plant, care for and harvest our own. In turn we teach our own children how to plant their own and they will someday teach their own, and their own will teach their own…….you get it..


So what are we planting? What type of seeds are you farming and how are you a different farmer than that of your parents? We all plant differently and care for our fields in different ways despite the way we were taught. We change and modify our methods to enhance the crops we plant. We take all of the advice that we can from the framers before us. We carefully dissect the information to see what best works for us. 


As parents that is how we learn to raise our children. We all know that our children are not delivered with an instruction manual stapled to their backs. Lord only knows that I wish that mine would have come with their own specific directions as they are each so different from one another. We can only go by what we know from the “farmers” before us.


Where the harvest as good …we build on that. We incorporate all those teachings into our own teachings. Where there were deficiencies we add more care to the way we grow our own plants.  To say that all a farmer needs to do is to plant his seed and walk away until harvest time would be a complete lie, and if a farmer did this to his crop, the weeds and insects would eat away at his plants. Come fall there would be nothing to harvest.  


A good farmer is in his fields constantly assessing his crops, making sure that the weeds are controlled, and that the insects are not eating at his plants. He continually cares for his plants by nurturing them with water, sun and love.


When we as parents tend to our garden we must make sure that our children are aware of ‘weeds’ (people)and that some will even look like beautiful flowers , but to know the difference. We also need to show them that “insects” are just that…people that will eat away at you if you let them. Our children need the warmth of the sun to grow…God and all things good in life are the sun. Water is the support and nourishment that our children need to be successful loving individuals. Love is also so very important, when you love your garden you want to spend all of your time there…..with your children.


One of the things that I have never understood is why people don’t stop the cycles of poor farming. Why plant seeds in a field of poor soil or where you know there are not enough light or rain fall, and expect your seeds to grow. Why place a seed in a field full of weeds and insects? Or if you do….why not try and save your seed from your own mistake of planting it in the wrong field….

 
I will never understand why people do this. Is it because you don’t want your children to have more than you or a better quality of life than that of yourself? Do you hold it against your own seed that their field is better than yours? Shouldn’t you always want more to harvest? Don’t you realize that the bigger the field, the bigger the crop that….that means a bigger harvest for all to enjoy? 


I will say this again….I will never understand why people don’t know how to treat their seeds better than the plants they have already grown…. “if I didn’t have it…why should you?” attitude should be “I didn’t have it …so here I want YOU to enjoy it” if you don’t understand what I mean by this …. You should know you might be a poor farmer. Sorry


I am not trying to be self-righteous by any means by saying this. I am NOT a perfect “parent” or “farmer”…… that is for dam sure, but I will tell you this. I only learned how to plant my garden by first assessing my field and seeing what I lacked in my own. I also looked for all the goodness of care that came from the farmers before me. I also looked at other fields near by to see how well their plantation was growing…..


So you look at your own life and think wow I loved that my parents did this, and you make for certain that you include this in your own style of living life and raising your own children. You also have moments that make you say “no way will I ever do that”…and you don’t. In a sense you BREAK THE CYCLE… so wish to God people would get that…say it again with me this time….BREAK THE CYCLE. Ok.....  here is another really, really important thing…..look around for other parents. It is ok to be inspired by others, that is why they are in your life or in your community. We all know it takes a community to raise a family. There are other teachers /farmers for you to learn from. Hopefully you step up to the plate when you reach maturity and be a teacher or farmer that others look to.


There are people that I know and have spoken to many times that just don’t get it. I have a hard time being friends with them, as they don’t put their children first. EVER. I have no understanding of this. I can never imagine having something before one of my daughters. My stress and pain and going without is something I shield from them…they are my crop to which one day  I hope to be present during its harvest…. That is all I can say.


The beauty of being a parent/farmer or a person is does NOT matter where your seed was planted or where you plant your own seed. You can change the direction or location of your plants any day and at ANY time, whether you are 10,43, 70 or 90…..it does not matter. You can bring your fruit to full fruitation at any given time. There are no excuses EVER! If there is not enough light in your life you simply look for the sun, if there is no water, bring it to a new source, and where there is no hope you find it….you create it. It is your responsibility to protect your own plant and that of your children. 

You will be harvested someday but your seeds will be planted and those seeds will plant their own some day and it will be how you taught the future farmers that will determine what field your family is in. IT IS YOUR field;YOURS.

Lastly, I sat in a church on Saturday March 1st and heard Ron Dufualt my beautiful cousin speak of his father on the day we laid him to rest. His eulogy was about his father’s last conversation before he passed. I sat and listened to each and every word that man spoke. Here is why…I am always thinking about what I want to say to my children and family before I die, and was thinking of this piece before I wrote it, and what Ron talked about made me form and shape my thoughts. 


Uncle Ron told his son about his garden. As my Uncle was very proud of the vegetable garden that he and his wife have planted in their yard year after year; he told young Ron how they should manipulate his plants and what plants they should add. He also told him to turn certain vegetables to access the sun better. I raised my hands in to the air in praise as I felt that he was actually giving a sermon about life. 

Perhaps he was talking about his cucumbers and his tomatoe plants as if they were mere plants but I know he was referring to his garden/family. He wants his children to change direction in their own fields and feel the sun just a bit more and he wants more tomatoes to harvest….he wants his family to continue to grow, with the same love and care that he has planted year after year. At least that is what I took from it.


My garden is planted, my seeds are nestled beneath the softest soil and I water them, and protect them from the weeds and the insects, I bring them to the sun and hope that someday they will rise through the soil and be the most incredible plants that my own field has never seen. Someday I will enjoy that harvest and wait to enjoy the goodness of the fruit. I am a very blessed little farmer today.
~Christine~
My Seeds.....

No comments:

Post a Comment