Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Day 20-Inspiration




Like me most of you; have people in our life that inspire us to be happier, healthier and encourage us to reach a higher purpose in life. I have had the fortunate opportunity of meeting several people in my lifetime that has had a profound impact on my life journey. 

Each of them has changed me in different ways, as I have been able to draw particular qualities from each of them. These qualities have enriched my life and consequently I feel that I am a better person for it.



It is funny how we look back on our lives and recall events as far back as when we were children and all of a sudden a light bulb in our head goes off. You know that “a ha” moment….when you all of a sudden get the lesson or the understanding as to why that person said or did what they did… and now suddenly you have a new found level of respect for that person. I have had plenty of moments like that recently. 



My mind has been on overtime; even while sleeping I dream of people, places and fantasize of meetings and conversations that I had enjoyed; and also wish to have with others.  I have always been that person who enjoys conversation especially …..with perfect strangers. Some of my closest confidants have been individuals that my own husband and children have never met. I could write a book about some of the characters I have engaged with; trust me. To me, one of the greatest feelings is knowing that someone has trusted me with their “story or journey”. I have Listened to a grown man tell me his darkest deepest fears, and a woman close to death share her regrets…..not only has it been a blessing but also a form of inspiration to me, as I have taken their words and used them to change things about my own life before it is too late. These individuals have been an inspiration to me.



I was quite young when I got married relative to these days; I was 20. My husband and I moved out of the community and began our life just the two of us. I knew only one thing for sure and that was that I loved him and would spend the rest of my life with him…but I had NOO idea who I was. When I look back I can’t believe what I took on at such an early age. I was feisty and ready to take on the world back then. I had no idea of what I wanted to do or be in my life; I just knew it would be huge. (ha ha who doesn’t at that age)..



I recall sitting at a School Board meeting with my husband listening to the budget cuts for that school year as the program he was teaching may or may not have been cut; which would have meant he most likely would lose his job. We sat in great anticipation and eventual relief as the program would be saved. As I sat in the room I could feel the power and energy; I wanted it. For the next year and a half I continued to attend Board meetings every other Tuesday in hopes of learning more about the process. My goal was to attain that position; of power. I was 23 years old and 7 months pregnant when I declared my candidacy for School Board Trustee. What a campaign! Yes I did win…. In many ways. My love for politics and for “being a voice” for others is one of my greatest passions.

Here is a throw back of 23 years and pregnant.. ha ha




Sidebar: I still cannot think back on those days without laughing at how I believed that I would make changes, like somehow we would all work together and solve problems. What a wakeup call that was! Call it naivetés, stupidity or ignorance I  just had no idea what politics was truly about. Like I said before I loved the” me” at 5…I think I liked me at 23 as well. I now know I had some pretty big balls back then. (LOL)


That first experience of being a representative allowed me to find something in me that I did not know existed, my love for people; all people. I am an advocate; which is also one of my bad qualities as well…let me explain. I am that person who listens to others; but also listens with my tool box in hand always wanting to fix. That quality is not always the best quality to have. I have written about toxic people before as well as my inability to recognize when individuals are just there for the taking.  



While my children were young we traveled across the province on a weekly basis. Meetings, speeches, rallies you name it we were there. My little sign carrying hippie babies! Ha ha ha. Of course once you get involved you realize that one societal issue is never in isolation and before you know it you find yourself trying to change everything. How exhausting.  I was a spitfire! 

Writing letters to the editor, and eventually I became a regular contributor to CBC and morning radio call in shows. I laugh when I think of the girls coming into my office while I was on the phone; I had a cabinet filled with treats and when one would walk by I would just hand out a fruit roll up or cookie before they got a chance to speak! All of my children should be huge in size, as I was on the phone A LOT!



At the time the big political writers; Maude Barlow and Linda Mc Quaig had an incredible impact on me. I had the pleasure of listening to them speak several times. I admire both of them for showing me at a young age that I too could make a difference. Now having said that, I am cooking dinner one night and the kids were playing with Pat. They were screaming so loud I almost didn’t hear the phone ring. “Hi is this Christine…I am not sure if you know who I am but this is Linda Mc Quaig”……. I started whipping shit at Pat and the kids to shut the hell up. I could not believe my ears. You know ….she actually called me to tell me that she had heard about a movement that I started and read some of my work and wanted to thank me and encourage me. All I can say is that it was one of the most brilliant days I could have….until Maude Barlow also contacted me….. You may have read their books or listened to their take on politics and truthfully it does not matter where you stand politically, these women are an inspiration to me. I don’t agree with everything they say or do however, they have both risen to their own level of success/accomplishments. As women….in a world of politics. Unbelievable inspirations in my life.



I continued for several years with my attack on City Council and eventual Provincial Involvement with various parties but eventually I decided to “take a break” and stay home for a while with my kids. I miss this aspect of my life desperately, especially when I watch the news and see Cabinet Ministers speaking and I think to myself wow….I knew that person before they were even elected! Whether you like the party they belong to or not…there is still a level of pride that they made it.

Throwback 26 and just finished being pregnant again...(LOL)



When the leader of the Federal NDP; Lack Layton died I was devastated. He passed away from cancer but that is not the only reason I am so sad; he died before he got a chance to sit in power of Formal Opposition Leader. I knew him when he was a City Councillor in Toronto, and walked many times with him handing out food to the homeless. He was a great, great man. He was and continues to be someone who has inspired me, regardless of his political affiliation. He was a truly a man that loved serving his fellow man. I am honoured to have known him.



Peg Martin was a woman that inspired me to no end. She is now one of my guardian angels…I believe that. Peg was old enough to be my mother but I called her friend. I enjoyed her company; her soft spoken voice and her beautiful mannerisms would capture my attention like no other. I hung on every word that woman ever shared with me. Her passing was so heart wrenching as I felt she had the ability to teach me so much more. She inspired me to never give up hope; even amongst the darkest of known outcomes. To you she is just a name and like many that pass away from cancer yet another statistic….to me she was an inspiration if only just to me.
My BEAUTIFUL Peg xoxoxo




I worry about my daughters in that I worry about who they will meet in their lifetime that will inspire them. Let’s face it we are in different times… Where are all the great and spiritual leaders of today? Yes I was too young to remember Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr, JFK…..but I remember their impact on our society. Who is leading our kids today? Who inspires them? Yikes…. Not the celebrities of today…who have achieved notoriety because of wealth or bad publicity.


My real hope for them is that they allow themselves to sit and share with people they meet along their way of life. True inspiration comes from every day people. There are A LOT of individuals out there who have weathered a few storms and survived! Anybody that has the ability to get up in the morning despite their demons (whatever they may be)and live….is an inspiration. 

It goes back to the blog I wrote about sharing….when we share our journey with another person you just never know how hungry the listener is for your words. We inspire each other every day, even though you may not know it. You have a story to tell, so tell it! That person you share with may not know it until later, but trust me the “a ha” moment will happen with another person if not today…someday. 
~Christine~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment