Monday, February 3, 2014

One off the "to do list"



I have been feeling slightly overwhelmed as I have been wanting  to do something grandiose before I go into the hospital; having to accept that I can’t ........really sucks!  Most days I want to just hop in my car and drive off into the sunset and ……nevermind.  Once before I blogged about bucket  lists and how unfair the idea of one can be. It's very painful for a terminal patient, especially when there is no reality in fulfilling one. So I had decided to create list of things that I always say I want to do but never seem to make the time for …… During the Christmas Holidays I was at Costco and came across “The Best of Warner Bros. 20 Film Collection of Musicals”.  I could not resist buying it. I have always loved old movies and musicals; the thoughts of me, my Blankie, Cheddar Smart Pop, Diet Coke and Judy Garland excited me. I picked a weekend and stayed in bed and watched all 20 movies.  I did it! 1 item off the list…





I will confess that I did not enjoy all of them like I thought I would but, I also found myself watching a few of them a couple of times. Now, like everyone else I have seen The Wizard of Oz a zillion times. As a child I remember the excitement that came with knowing that it would air on TV; for 2 hours I could be transported into a true childhood fantasy. It is one of my favourite movies as a child, (second to Willy Wonka) and now it has become one of my favourite movies as an adult. I watched it again last night.  As it started to play I was thinking about my day and how much I enjoyed recently having lunch with a wonderful friend; and for some reason my thoughts of friendship and my current journey influenced my viewing of this film from a completely different perspective.





Dorothy took a journey along a winding yellow brick road. Along that journey she made friends with characters that were also on a quest to find something they felt missing from their own lives. They grew to love one another and became the support system that each of them needed to find themselves.  The journey to find self -actualization and self- love is one we all take. Each of us takes a journey through life of which we all tend to face obstacles at different times.  We start off much like Dorothy in that we question where we come from and often wonder if we belong.  We long for answers and are compelled to discover the true meaning of happiness and contentment. The constant search for the answers leads us to believe that an OZ can exist; believing that once we arrive will we know the answers.

Along the way we pick up strangers that eventually become our friends; our much need support system. They love us and encourage us to find and reach our goals; whatever they might be. Sometimes along the way we do meet “witches” that try to destroy us, but in the end our true friends help us overcome and ultimately win the battle. We all have a Scare Crow that will take a ball of fire to the hay chest for us; and protect us from danger (Patsy).



We search and search hoping that with each turn in the road the answer will be waiting there and it never is. So we keep moving; along the way we find yet another companion that will enrich our life, and make the road trip less painful or frightening. 



We dance with joy and laughter and celebrate the feats along the way, until yet another battle is eminent. Sometimes we battle knowing that the fights is not our own, but that of the person you travel with. Together you fight, win and move on. You are never the same person you were before the war but stronger and wiser you become; somehow…..

In the end Dorothy and her friends arrived at their destination! Ah ha The Grand Wizard, the answers and all the voids to be filled. Only to discover that there is no real OZ.





Brains – we have the knowledge and intelligence to handle any situation we face. Heart- oh how I love this one, self-love and love for others. Courage- one of the greatest and most powerful to have, it takes courage to face life and its crazy patterns of unpredictable circumstances. Home- it was where Dorothy longed to be from the moment she left. Home to me is representative of where we are inside. It is our comfort zone, it is who we are. No matter where you are, you are always home. Whatever journey you go on, no matter where you run to; it follows you. 



Dorothy discovered that her friends were familiar, her home was where she needed to be, the evil that tried to destroy her could be fought and beat, that sometimes her enemies were really on her side, and that she didn’t really need to find herself as she was there all along. The journey in all fact started the day they discovered it was in them all along. That is when the journey of life is most exciting. Once you are armed with the power of knowing that you have the tools/weapons, a strong sense of yourself, a support system made up of family and friends you can truly walk along any path in life that you choose.



My journey is similar to hers in that I find myself on a path which leads to an unknown.  I too have a great support system to help me reach my end goal. I have family, a real foundation. I have the courage, the strength and the determination to win my own battle with the “witch”. 
I have heart which is my favourite; I love, am loved and love being loved…. 



Since I am so clever…. (ha ha ha ) I will leave you with a new thought… Click your heals 3 times and say

“There is no place like HOPE”… 

~Christine~

No comments:

Post a Comment