Thursday, February 13, 2014

What Would YOUR T-shirt Say...




Yesterday I wrote a blog about the incredible pain that I have been in; both physical and mental. I even went as far as posting a picture of myself in my undies. Why would I have ever done such a thing? After all I am the most private, shy and quiet person you will ever meet. It’s true…. You see I have a cancer, we all know this. I have scars, I have pain and I have a wealth of health issues but when I am dressed and in public no one sees these facts. I have a rare cancer that does not have the same medical protocol as other cancers. There really is no cure for it; chemo and radiation are reserved to those very few patients that may respond. Most PNET cancer patients are offered de-bulking as the best chance of survival. The tragic reality of that is most patients are unaware they have tumours/cancer until symptoms present; and in which case usually means the cancer is not so insignificant. Also because of the fact that SOME neuroendocrine tumours are very slow growing some patients find out that their tumours have been in their bodies for many years. So with that preamble no chemo means…..no bald head, no pic lines no obvious signs that you are “really” in the cancer club….

It is difficult for others to accept that not all cancers are the same and yet cancer is all the same in that we all have it! Some are fortunate enough to receive treatments/surgeries or radiation and some of us just hope that our cancers don’t progress as we know ….we are shit out of luck if it does.


We live in a society full of people that are conditioned to believe only what they can see.  It is easier that way. We really don’t understand other people’s suffering.  If someone appears to look “normal” than they must be fine; and we are not always willing to pay attention to invisible illnesses. This fact causes a great deal of pain to the individuals who are doubted about their illness. I have myself suffered TREMENDOUSLY because of this…. People can be real asswipes… I have written about this issue before and will probably write about it again and again. 



I know that you have sat in a waiting room at a walk in clinic and or at an emergency department and surveyed the room to see who really needs to be there. You judge because you already have that notion in your head that people need to look a certain way to be sick. Unless you have a “big ticket” illness there is no excuse to complain….. the reality is, every illness has pain associated with it; even mental health issues. Not all medical health issues have a particular look or effect. I know that we are all judgmental to some degree about this. 



A child has ADD, or is Autistic and is acting up in a store, you roll your eyes and wish the parent would leave the store… you don’t see what that child is going through or what that parent is actually enduring at that moment.. Now see a child with Down syndrome or in a wheel chair and you are much more tolerant for the “acting out” of this child. You may even have sympathy for the child and the parent. You know this is true.

When an individual is in a wheel chair or using any ambulatory aid , do you not show compassion and empathy…run to open the door at the store, or reach for a product on their behalf at the grocery store? You know you do it. 


This showcases that our society is and can be compassionate. The problem; even though we are empathetic, sympathetic and understanding it is only to the obvious of ailments. It seems to me that the out of the box illnesses are just too messy to deal with or understand so we dismiss them to a large degree. 


 Invisible disabilities are chronic illnesses and conditions that do significantly impair normal activities of daily living. In Canada 90% and United States, 96% of people with chronic medical conditions show no outward signs of their illness, and 10% experience symptoms that are considered disabling.



Invisible disabilities DO affect person's effort/ or ability s to go to school, work, socialize, and more. Although the disability creates a challenge for the person who has it, the reality of the disability can be difficult for others to recognize or acknowledge. Others simply do not understand the cause of the problem; if they cannot see evidence of it in a “visible way” they just don’t acknowledge the struggle. Students with cognitive impairments find it difficult to organize and complete school work, but teachers who do not see an obvious impairment for a student's difficulties, are often impatient with the child. Just a small example of many difficulties individuals face….


We feel the need to label or expose our illnesses… to be accepted. Campaigns of colour coordinating ribbons..Yellow for this, purple for that…blah blah blah. I often dream of standing on a street with hundreds of other brave enough people to wear t shirts with sayings like:


1)      I was raped- so I have relationship issues

2)      My father abandoned me – I have trust issues

3)      I have anxiey- I can’t leave my house

4)      I have OCD- it took me an hour to leave my house today

5)      I have an addiction- I am lost

6)      I have depression- I don’t love my self

7)      I am dyslexic- I failed in school

8)      I have inconsistence issues- I am wearing a diaper

9)      I feel suicidal- I have no hope

10)   I have an ileostomy-  I poop in a bag

11)   I have arthritis- it hurts to walk

12)   I have chronic back pain- I can’t sit or stand

13)   I have cardiac issues- my heart is broken

14)   I have asthma-it hurts to breath

15)   I have Chrons- my belly is in constant pain

16)   I have Epilepsy- I can’t work

17)   I have diabetes- Sugar hates me..

18)   I have an eating disorder- it consumes me

19)   I have Bipolar disorder- I have to take medication

20)   I am blind-  I can’t do everything on my own

21)   I am deaf-  Don’t treat me differently

22)   I am Fat- I have thyroid issues

I bet I could go on for page after page after page listing chronic illnesses and diseases that are not recognizable / visual illnesses.  I guess my blog today is to once again ask people to stop being so quick to dismiss others and their struggles. I know the pain of this first hand. You know that I have been doubted about my illness, as some people just don’t understand outside of the box. Cancer does NOT always = bald or DEATH… some of us live with it………My fault I guess; I should have died long ago and have failed to live up to the expectations of societies notion that Cancer is always a death sentence. I look good… I am thin, I have my hair……but If I took off my clothes and bared my scars would I still be doubted? 


Obviously this is a very painful topic for me as I have been hurt by others and their ill thought out opinions of whether I have been ill or not. NOT every illness, disease or chronically debilitating issue has a face that is exact. Every treatment is different and every patient is different.  I remain that our society has a long way to go when it comes to how we treat others that have pain/ anguish in their lives. Why can’t we just accept that all of us hurt in some way….and we shouldn’t have to show our scars to prove it. I feel comfort in knowing that even Jesus was doubted….. 
~Christine~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment